Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Births and Citizenship

Birth and Citizenship Services

Choose the service you require from the menu on the left.

The United States Consulate General accepts applications for Consular Reports of Birth (CRBA) for children born in The Netherlands to U.S. citizen parents. Processing time is approximately seven working days. If a passport is applied for at the same time, processing time is approximately fifteen working days.

The Consulate General can also accept applications for a CRBA for children born outside the Netherlands, if child and parent(s) are currently residing in our consular district. As these applications must be forwarded to the consulate or embassy in the country of birth, processing time may be several months.

Applications for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad cannot be expedited. If you need to travel it is recommended you do not make definitive travel plans until you have received your child's Consular Report of Birth Abroad and U.S. passport.

DO NOT FORGET to download and complete all required application forms and to verify what documents you must bring with you to your appointment. You will find what you need on each service instructions page as you choose from the menu listed on the left of this page.

We advise you NOT to set up your appointment until you are fully prepared, i.e. have filled out all three forms and have assembled all supporting documentation, correct birth certificate, proof of physical presence, etc. Note also that we cannot process any documentation sent in advance. You are to present your documents on your appointment date.

A comprehensive overview on the Consular Report of Birth Abroad can be found on the State Department's travel website.

The Child Citizenship Act of 2000 is an amendment of the U.S. Immigration and Nationality Act that provides alternative ways by which children of U.S. citizens may become U.S. citizens when their parents are unable to transmit citizenship.

How to file for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad and first U.S. passport for your child born in the Netherlands.

Tips for a smooth Consular visit