Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation

Frequently Asked Questions

Disabled Parking Permits for Visitors to the U.S.

Requirements for disabled permits for visiting motorists vary from state to state. In some cases an out of state or international permit is sufficient; in others a local, temporary permit is required. Where applicable, it is worth checking with your car hire company or contacting a local tourist office representing your destination.

Many states' Departments of Motor Vehicles now provide information and/or application forms on their internet websites. Following are web links and addresses for the appropriate departments of some of the more popular holiday destinations:

California DMV Placard
P. O. Box 942869
Sacramento, California 94269-0001
tel: (916) 657-8135
Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles
Motor Vehicles Division
Neil Kirkman Bldg
Tallahassee FL 32399-0620
tel: (850) 488-3881
Illinois Secretary of State
Non-Standard Plate Section
501 S. 2nd Street, Rm. 539
Springfield IL 62756
tel: (217) 782-0643
Massachusetts Attn: Medical Affairs Branch
Registry of Motor Vehicles
PO Box 199100
Boston, MA 02119-9100
tel: (617) 351-2700
Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles and Public Safety
Registration Division
Special Plate Section
555 Wright Way
Carson City NV 89711-0760
tel: (775) 687-3281
New York Department of Motor Vehicles
6 Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12228
tel: (518) 473-9324
Texas  Vehicle Titles and Registration
Department of Transportation
200 E. Riverside Drive
Austin TX 78704
tel: (512) 465-7611
Virginia  Department of Motor Vehicles
2300 W. Broad Street
Richmond VA 23220
tel: (804) 367-620

Links to other Motor Vehicles Departments can be found on the website of the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators