Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Permanent Resident Card issues

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website provides information and directions necessary to apply for Permanent Resident Cards, aka Alien Registration Receipt Cards (ARC), aka 'green cards', including renewal or replacement such cards. A 'green card' is proof of one's Legal Permanent Resident (LPR) status and required for readmission to the United States.

Lost, Stolen or Expired Permanent Resident Card

Abandoning your Permanent Resident Status

  • Lost, Stolen or Expired Permanent Resident Card

U.S. legal permanent residents visiting or transiting the Netherlands whose I-551 Alien Registration Receipt Card (green card) has expired or has been stolen/lost, can request the U.S. Consulate General to issue them a no fee 'Boarding Foil,' valid for one entry to the United States within 30 days of issuance. You should not leave the United States again until you have applied for and received your new card. You can apply for your replacement card electronically now, through the USCIS website.

To apply for a Boarding Foil in Amsterdam, the Permanent Resident should bring the following:

  • A valid passport
  • An I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card, completed in full but not signed. (Click on the link, print and answer ALL questions on pages 1-3.)
  • His/her alien registration number (A-number aka green card number, consisting of A-0 + eight digits)
  • Two recent 2" x 2" passport photographs. Click here for U.S. style photo specifications.
  • Police report of stolen or lost permanent resident card (if applicable)
  • Evidence of last departure from the United states (for example airline (e-)ticket or boarding pass) 

The Consular officer can only consider issuing a Boarding Foil upon verification of your status by the USCIS. As the Consulate General does not have direct access to USCIS records this may take from one to several days, usually no more than five workdays. For this process it is imperative that you provide us with your A-number (alien registration card number). Once permission is granted you will get an appointment to pick up your Boarding Foil. Boarding Foils will not be mailed.

If you do not have your principal residence inside the United States, you probably have lost your U.S. resident status. In that case you cannot apply for a new card and you are advised to follow the abandoning procedure below.

When can one apply for a Boarding Foil in Amsterdam?
This service is available Tuesday or Thursday from 13:30-15:00. Please contact us via the e-mail address below for appointment availability. To apply, you will need to present proof of your return flight to the U.S. before scheduling your application appointment.

Please note, the application takes 24 hours to process and the applicant will generally have to return the following workday to pick up the boarding foil.

To schedule your application appointment, you must send:

in advance, by e-mail to: or by fax to: (0)20-575 5389.


Abandoning your Permanent Resident Status:

If you no longer reside in the U.S., or if you are otherwise subject to loss of permanent resident status, you must abandon your claim to that status by filing form I-407. This form states that you voluntarily abandon your LPR status (Legal Permanent Residence). 

There are two ways of doing that:

  1. Abandoning by mail (preferred)
  2. Abandoning in person

There is no fee for this process. Please don't forget to read the important considerations and consequences of abandoning your status below


Future Immigration:
Abandoning your Permanent Resident Card and status does not affect your ability to apply to immigrate to the United States at some future time. However, you will have to begin the process anew and apply through the usual application process.

The abandonment of lawful permanent resident status is irrevocable. An individual who relinquishes lawful permanent resident status must qualify again for such status. Therefore, one should give careful thought before abandoning lawful permanent resident status.


Abandoning by mail:

  1. Download and fill in form I-407 from the USCIS website.
    1. Make sure you fill in your A number
    2. Sign the form
  2. Find the nearest USCIS office. Note: there is no USCIS office in the Netherlands
  3. Send the following documents to the USCIS office:
    1. The I-407 form
    2. The Green Card (also known as form I-551, if available).  If not available, the appropriate box in Part 1, item 11.b should be checked
    3. All other issued USCIS booklets and cards, if applicable
    4. Make sure to provide a return address

Note: if you're abandoning the Green Card of a minor, each parent, custodian, or legal guardian must sign the form and consent to the submission of the form.

Abandoning in Person:

If you prefer to abandon your status in person, you can do so at the Consulate General in Amsterdam.

  1. Download and fill in form I-407 from the USCIS website.
    1. Make sure you fill in your A number
    2. DO NOT Sign the form
  2. Make an appointment at the Consulate General by sending an email to Appointments are Tuesdays or Thursday at 14:00 only. We will confirm with an appointment date.
  3. Check the Access and Security Notice before visiting the Consulate General
  4. Visit the Consulate General at the confirmed date
  5. Bring the following items:
    1. Your Green Card (also known as form I-551, if available).  If not available, the appropriate box in Part 1, item 11.b should be checked and please bring any official USCIS documents showing your alien registration number (A-number).
    2. A valid passport
    3. Confirmation of your appointment 

Left Your Resident Card At Home?

  • If you have left the U.S. without your permanent resident card, have a friend or family member send it to you by courier service.