Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Fiance(e)s of U.S. Citizens

If you are the fiancé(e) of an American citizen, and you plan to be married and consequently take up residence in the United States, you will need a special visa. This visa is called the K-1 Fiancé(e) Visa. Such a visa will allow you to travel to the U.S. and apply for admission to be married to your U.S. citizen fianc'(e) within 90 days of arrival. The application starts with the U.S. citizen fiancé(e) filing an I-129F petition with the appropriate domestic United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)office. After the marriage you and your spouse will have to file for adjustment of your status, with the domestic field office of the USCIS, from temporary K status to legal permanent resident status. Please note that you must remain in the U.S. for the entire duration of the adjustment process. You can travel outside the U.S. as soon as you have been granted legal permanent resident, or 'green card' status. If you must travel overseas before the adjustment is completed it is imperative that you contact the USCIS and apply for and receive advance permission to return to complete your adjustment. For more information on K-1 fiancé(e) visas click here.