Personal Appearance Required
Your personal appearance is required if you do not have a passport because it was
- lost or stolen,
- damaged, e.g. if you accidentally washed it, or
- mutilated, e.g. if you removed pages or visas.
If you are a resident of the Netherlands
If you reside in the Netherlands, permanently or temporary, please set up an emergency appointment by following the instructions in the box on the right. (When on a mobile device scroll down to the bottom and click on 'full site' to get the appointment site link).
If you are a visitor in transit
If you are a visitor to The Netherlands in transit and have lost your passport or had it stolen, no appointment is required, provided you bring proof of your emergency. You can visit the Consulate during our morning opening hours (8:30 to 11:30 A.M.). Please also see our Imminent Departure page on emergency passports.
Resident or visitor, you are to:
- Download, print and complete the passport application form DS-11. You are to sign at the Consulate, before a consular officer. If you cannot download the forms they will be provided when you come to the Consulate. As you will not have access to your cell phone while in the consular building, please bring paper print outs of all supporting documents and if possible prepare your application forms before coming in.
- If your passport was lost or stolen, download, print, complete and sign the Statement Regarding Lost Or Stolen Passport (DS-64). If your passport is damaged, please use our General Affidavit (PDF 73 KB) to describe what happened to your passport. Do not sign the affidavit. If your passport is damaged or mutilated, please download a general affidavit on which you are to describe what happened to your passport. Do not sign the affidavit.
- Bring your copy of the police report. It is important to report the loss or theft of a valid U.S. passport to the police authorities.
- Bring, if you can, some form of identification (e.g. driver’s license, residence card) as well as documentation that establishes your citizenship (e.g. birth or naturalization certificate, an expired passport).
- Bring a recent passport photo: Before coming to the Consulate, with or without an appointment, get your photo taken. We need one U.S. format, 2" x 2" (5 x 5 Cm.), photo. You must look straight into the camera and it must have a white background. See our photo instructions page.
- See our Consular Fees page for the appropriate passport services fee. Fees can be paid in cash, euro or dollars, or by credit card. NO PIN payment. When paying in cash, please try to bring exact change.
Replacement passports can be issued within 10 working days. In cases where the applicant is normally resident outside The Netherlands and stranded in transit, the Consulate can issue an 'emergency passport' which is valid for three months. This 'emergency passport' can be exchanged later for a full validity passport at an embassy or consulate overseas or at a Passport Agency in the United States. See our section on replacing an emergency passport.
Report a lost/stolen passport to the police
A U.S. passport is a valuable document, not just for you the rightful bearer. Therefore you must report the loss or theft of a U.S. passport to the local police authorities to avoid Identity theft! How can someone steal your identity? Identity theft occurs when someone uses your personal information such as your name, Social Security number, credit card number or other identifying information, without your permission to commit fraud or other crimes.
Do I Need an Appointment?
Unless you are stranded in transit, you must make an appointment online. If you are in transit, must travel within the next few days, and you can document this, no appointment is necessary. See our contact and opening hours information. With or without an appointment get your photo taken before coming to the Consulate. If you can, download and fill out the appropriate application forms and bring them with you to the Consulate. If not you will be provided the forms at the Consulate, but it helps if you have looked at the forms online.
Please click here to set up an appointment online.