U.S. Notarial Services available to non-U.S. citizens
Notarial Services in The Netherlands are available from any Dutch notary (notaris). A Dutch notary can be found through: http://www.notaris.nl/homepage .
Notary Services at the Consulate General in Amsterdam are limited and available by appointment only. We only notarize documents for presentation in the United States. We do not provide notary services on an emergency, or walk-in basis and you must come with all documents properly prepared* for the notary to sign.
The Affidavit of Civil Status is NOT available to non-U.S. citizens.
Notary Services at the Consulate General in Amsterdam:
NOTE THAT IF YOU COME UNPREPARED, THE CONSULATE RESERVES THE RIGHT TO ASK YOU TO MAKE A NEW APPOINTMENT.
So, please read the following instructions very carefully:
How to prepare for your visit to the Consulate General for a notarial service*:
- Before you come to the Consulate General read your document(s) through carefully and make sure you understand the document(s). If a document is not clear check with the office or organization requiring the notarized document or your legal advisor. Consular staff cannot explain your document(s) to you. IMPORTANT: If your name is preprinted in your document, make sure it exactly matches the name in your identity document. A name discrepancy may prohibit the consular officer from notarizing your document.
- Mark every page where the notary needs to sign, with a marker sticker sticking out on the right side of the document. Also make clear which pages should be attached to each other. E.g., if pages are marked 1 of 3, 2 of 3 and 3 of 3, clip them toghether with a paper clip. These pages will be grommeted together at the Consulate.
- Fill in the document(s) with the appropriate names, places and dates and other information. However, DO NOT SIGN your document you will sign under oath at the Consulate General, in front of the notary.
- Set up an appointment. See the box called an appointment is required on the right. (When on a mobile device scroll down to the bottom and click on 'full site' to get the appointment site link.)
- Bring a valid government-issued photo ID. A passport is best. Make sure your name in your document exactly matches the name in your identity document.
- Bring your entire document(s), even if only one page is to be notarized.
- Witnesses - If your document requires witnesses in addition to the notary, you must bring these witnesses with you. Consular staff or other customers cannot serve as witnesses or help you find a witness. Witnesses cannot be relatives, and must present a passport to enter the Consulate. If your document has a space for a witness to sign but you did not bring one, you can either make a new appointment or let the Consulate General assume no witness is required and prepare the document as such. You can bring up to four persons, including witnesses, on one appointment.
- The Notary Services fee must be paid in cash, euro or dollars, or by credit card. PIN payments cannot be processed. Click here to go to our consular services fees and payment instructions page.
DOUBLE CHECK THAT YOU HAVE YOUR DOCUMENT(S) FULLY PREPARED!
Please follow the above instructions very carefully. Again, if you come unprepared we may not be able to help you and you will need to set up an new appointment to visit the Consulate another time.
Types of Notarials
- Power of Attorney
A power of attorney allows you to empower someone to act in your place. Blank Power of Attorney forms (PDF 27 KB) can be downloaded, or you may use one supplied to you by your attorney, bank or company. Please fill out the form before you come to our office, but DO NOT sign it in advance.
An affidavit is a sworn statement, made by you. Using our blank form (PDF 73 KB), write out the statement you wish to make, but DO NOT sign it. We cannot advise you on the specific language needed in your Affidavit, please consult a lawyer or other legal advisor for that type of assistance, before coming to us to notarize the document.
- Sworn Statement
An administration of oath is used on documents that require a sworn affidavit (PDF 33 KB).
- Acknowledgement of Execution
An Acknowledgement of Execution (PDF 72 KB) is used for legal agreements, business documents, etc. It is also used when more than two signatures are required, but not all of the parties who must sign the document are present. We can only acknowledge (notarize) the signatures of those present to sign the document in front of us and verify that they have signed the document.
Signature Guarantees: We cannot help you with signature guarantees.
Unfortunately, consular officers are not authorized to provide a signature guarantee/medallion guarantee service. A Medallion Signature Guarantee is not a notary service, but a special procedure related to securities, which can only be performed by an authorized representative of a financial institution participating in a medallion program approved by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission may be contacted at www.sec.gov.
- True Copy
To apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number or ITIN, you will need a certified copy of your national passport. At the Consulate General such a copy can be made for the standard notarial fee. You will need to set up an appointment for a notarial service as per the link at the right hand top of this page.
You Must Make an Appointment for this service
Though you are not a U.S. citizen you must set up your appointment through our U.S. Citizen Services appointment website. Please download and fill out all required forms before coming to the Consulate. If you plan to pay for your service in cash, please try to bring exact change. Thank you.
Should you have to cancel your appointment, click here.
You can bring up to four persons, including witnesses, on one appointment.
The Confirmation Print Out
Upon completing setting up your appointment you will be asked to print the confirmation with your password. Alternatively you can write it down. You will not receive an e-mail confirmation.
No Confirmation Sheet, no password?
No problem and no need to contact us. You will be on our entry list for the day of your appointment. But should you have to cancel simply send us an e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org and we will take care of it for you. You can then reschedule at your convenience.