Imminent Departure — If you need a passport on short notice
If you need a passport within the next two weeks, e.g. because you have an emergency situation, your application will require a personal appearance by appointment during our morning opening hours (8:30 to 11:30 am).
If you are stranded in transit without a valid passport, need to travel within the next few days, no appointment is necessary but you can only visit during our morning opening hours (8:30 to 11:30 am). You will find more information on what constitutes an emergency further down this page.
Please bring the following with you:
- Proof of your emergency, e.g. hospital correspondence, doctor's statement, or other.
- Either the DS-82 passport application form (if you have an undamaged, full validity, 10 year passport issued within the last 15 years) OR a DS-11 passport application form (for all others) – see also our section on Passports for Minors for additional requirements for children;
- Your old passport – click here if your passport was lost or stolen;
- One U.S. format (2"x2" /5Cm.x5Cm.) color photo. Dutch format photos cannot be processed! See our photo specifications pages;
- The appropriate Passport Services fee must be paid in cash, euro or dollars, or by credit card. PIN payments cannot be processed.
Is it an emergency?
All full-validity passports are now printed in the United States, except in a few special and limited situations. Here are some guidelines as to what constitutes a true emergency:
If your passport is lost or stolen, if you received a Red-Cross message (military) or have a family or medical emergency, you may qualify for an emergency print passport.
If you realized too late that your passport has expired, has run out of empty pages for visas, or is not valid long enough for travel to certain countries, we will not be able to accommodate your request for an emergency passport. However, we can process new, full-validity passports in 7-10 days from your application appointment. We can call or e-mail you when it arrives, so you can pick it up right away.
We are able to issue full validity replacement passports within seven to ten days. U.S. full validity passports are printed in the United States.
In case of an emergency you may apply for an emergency limited-validity (three months) passport, which cannot be extended. Same day issuance is available if you can demonstrate and document your emergency to the satisfaction of the consular officer.
Our ability to issue passports on the day of the application can be affected by a number of factors, and can only be considered on a case-by-case basis in response to a verifiable emergency.
Do I Need an Appointment?
Short Notice Passport
Pictures are important
On Emergency Passports
Two consecutive emergency passports cannot be issued. If you are issued with an emergency passport, your next application must be for a full-validity passport, which will be printed in the U.S. and will take approximately 7 to 10 working days.