UNITED STATES EMBASSY THE HAGUE, THE NETHERLANDS
Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Demonstration in The Hague
May 20, 2015
The Dutch National Police have announced they will demonstrate in The Hague from 06:30 - 15:00 hours on Thursday, May 21, 2015.
There will be an estimated 750 police officers taking part in the demonstration. For this event, there will be three groups of police:
- Police officers who are organizing/leading the demonstration will wear their uniform covered with a red vest.
- Police officers participating in the demonstration will wear their uniform covered with an orange vest.
- Police who will be on duty and working the event will wear their uniform.
The following activities are planned:
- Police will be posted around government buildings (Plein, Korte Poten, Buitenhof, Lange Viijverberg).
- Police will sound their sirens every hour starting at 8:00 until 14:00.
- Police sirens will be on for 10 minutes from 11:50 to 12:00.
- At 12:30 the demonstrators will leave the Plein and march to the Ministry of Finance on Korte Voorhout.
- At 12:45 the demonstrators will walk along Smidsplein and pass the National Police Headquarters at Nieuwe Uitleg/ Kanonstraat.
- At 14:00 the demonstrators will march via Prinsessegracht to the Malieveld.
In general, protests in the Netherlands are peaceful. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful, however, can turn confrontational and escalate into violence with little warning. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
General security information
U.S. citizens in the Netherlands are reminded, in general, that if at any time you feel threatened or in danger, please call the Dutch authorities immediately by dialing 1-1-2 for emergency service response from Dutch police, rescue, and fire departments.
For further information:
- See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Netherlands Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General in the Netherlands, located at Museumplein 19, 1071 DJ, Amsterdam, at +31 (0)20 575-5309, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +31 (0)70 310-2209.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
The sending e-mail address is not monitored. To contact the Consulate General, please e-mail us at USCitizenServicesAMS@state.gov.