UNITED STATES EMBASSY THE HAGUE, THE NETHERLANDS
Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Demonstration in The Hague
August 1, 2015
Dutch police have informed the Consulate that a demonstration will take place on Saturday, August 1, at 2:00 p.m. in The Hague. The protestors seek to draw attention to the alleged bombing of Kurds in Northern Iraq by Turkish forces. The Turkish Embassy will be secured by Military Police, and the area surrounding the U.S. Embassy will be closely monitored.
Date: August 1, 2015
Time: 2:00-5:30 p.m.
Location: Begin at Koningin Julianaplein (Centraal Station), marching via Herengracht and Fluwelen Burgwal to Spuiplein (Dutch Parliament).
Group: Kurdish Democratic People’s Center
Topic: To draw attention to alleged bombing of Kurds in Northern Iraq by Turkish forces.
The Consulate suggests that you avoid the area and exercise an appropriate level of security and situational awareness if you must travel near the demonstration.
In general, protests in the Netherlands are peaceful. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful, however, can turn confrontational and escalate into violence with little warning. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
General security information
U.S. citizens in the Netherlands are reminded, in general, that if at any time you feel threatened or in danger, please call the Dutch authorities immediately by dialing 1-1-2 for emergency service response from Dutch police, rescue, and fire departments.
For further information:
- See the State Department's travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Netherlands Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General in the Netherlands, located at Museumplein 19, 1071 DJ, Amsterdam, at +31 (0)20 575-5309, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +31 (0)70 310-2209.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
The sending e-mail address is not monitored. To contact the Consulate General, please e-mail us at USCitizenServicesAMS@state.gov.