Step 5 — Have your U.S. style visa photo made
Though the DS-160 (step 2) allows for uploading a digitized photo, you are still required to bring a paper photo to your application interview. At the bottom of this page you will find a link to the State Department's travel website, with instructions for the correct digital photo.
Visa photos must be 2" x 2" (51 mm. x 51 mm.)! No other format is acceptable!
American passport/visa photo requirements are different from Dutch passport photo requirements and must conform to the following guidelines:
- Image: The color photograph must be recent (within six months), with a clear full face and front view image, ensuring the ears of the customer are showing. Please note, we cannot accept a photo used in a previous U.S. visa application, even if that photo is less than six months old.
- Size: The photograph must be at least two inches by two inches (51 mm. by 51 mm.) in size, exclusive of any white borders. The image size, from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head (including hair), should measure between one inch and one and three-eighth's inches. There should be at least one-half inch between the top of the head and photograph's border.
- Background: There must be a clear contrast between the background and the customer's image. The background of the photographs must be white. Photographs that are grainy in appearance cannot be accepted.
- Please click here (PDF 73kb) to download our instruction sheet that you can take to your photographer to ensure you get the correct pictures.
- No head covering or dark glasses should be worn. For exceptions, religious headcoverings for instance, and more information on what photographs are acceptable for U.S. documents, please see the State Department website.